Skip to Main Content : Go to Main Menu

Sub menu

  • Wasim's first month

    Friday 30 January 2015

    Leicestershire and Rutland Cricket Chief Executive Wasim Khan MBE has been an extremely busy man and is loving every minute of his new job.

    View all news

Right Menu

 Search Our Website


 Promotions / Offers

application/pdf 1879 Club and Events (3.16 MB)


application/pdf 2015 Membership Brochure (588.71 kB)



 Gallery Photos


 Main Club Sponsor

 Global Payments


 LCCC Official Kit Supplier

 Kukri Sports


County remain in charge

Leicestershire closed day three with a 218-run lead over Glamorgan with nine second innings intact after another fine performance.

Glamorgan resumed on 126-0 but were bowled for 359 as Leicestershire bowled and fielded with great discipline and intensity

New-ball duo Charlie Shreck (29-9-84-3) and Anthony Ireland (27-3-81-3) led the way and Glamorgan were facing the follow-on until a spirited last wicket stand of 55 between Graham Wagg 57 (54b) and Will Owen (12*, 21b).

Leicestershire recorded a 141 first innings lead and Greg Smith finished 45 not out (64b) as the team reached 77-1 in their second innings before bad light brought a premature end to proceedings.

Another good day’s work ensured that Leicestershire collected maximum bonus points and the team now holds all the aces as the game enters the final day.

Rudolph and Rees resumed on unbeaten half-centuries on a cool and overcast morning and Glamorgan had hopes of getting up to Leicestershire’s first innings total of 500.

But the visitors were restricted to 78-3 in the first session as Leicestershire enjoyed the better of proceedings.

Leicestershire needed a moment of inspiration to get things going and Matthew Boyce provided it with a great piece of fielding.

Rees, who hit a four in the first over of the day, hit to mid-wicket and set off immediately but Rudolph (65, 131b) was not so keen. The South Africa international was well short of his ground when a Boyce direct hit flattened the stumps.

That brought Murray Goodwin to the wicket and Rees regained composure to drive through the covers and mid-wicket to move onto 70. Runs were generally hard to come by though as the bowlers were asking questions.

Goodwin nicked Shreck but Angus Robson couldn’t hold on at gully before Ben Raine extracted some movement to remove the off-stump of Rees (72, 161b). It was an important wicket and deserved reward for a good spell of Leicestershire pressure.

Goodwin cut and pulled to the fence and Stewart Walters also hit a short ball away as Glamorgan broke the shackles. Walters then nicked through a vacant third slip position to frustrate Raine.

Taylor (18-6-54-1) replaced Raine at the Pavilion End and took a key wicket. Goodwin (23, 51b) tickled a leg side delivery and Niall O’Brien took a great catch. Ireland was now deep into a hostile spell from the Bennett End and Taylor was also bowling accurately, so it was tough going for the visitors.

On a rare occasion Taylor dropped too short, Walters pulled through mid-wicket to record a boundary. Allenby (41, 57b) glanced away to record a batting point in the lunch over and the visitors went in on 202-3.

It was all action in the afternoon session as Glamorgan added 157 runs but also lost their final seven wickets. Allenby drove a four in the third over after the interval before Walters had a moment of fortune as a delivery off Shreck rolled onto his stumps without removing a bail. Fifteen came from the next over bowled by Raine (16-4-63-2) as a no-ball evaded everyone and raced away for four while Walters twice hit behind square for boundaries.

Allenby drove to the ropes in Jigar Naik’s first over of the day as the lively alliance reached 49 but it ended as Walters (35, 67b) cut loosely in Raine’s 14th over. Taylor took the catch at backward point.

Glamorgan were now 233-4 and Allenby cut away to record a fifth boundary. The new ball was taken immediately and it was an eventful first over from Shreck. The former Leicestershire man hit three of the first four balls to the fence before he pulled the next delivery straight to Boyce at mid-wicket as County kept chipping away.

Mark Wallace picked up a boundary through mid-wicket while Will Bragg, who was coming in down the order because of an injury, glanced away for four. Both batsmen fell in quick succession as the tied-down Wallace (7,39b) edged Shreck to Robson at gully and Bragg looked to leave Ireland but ended up dragging onto his stumps.

It meant Glamorgan had lost three wickets in the space of 30 deliveries and Wagg and John Glover were now together. They hit a boundary apiece but Ireland then picked up his second wicket with a great piece of cricket.

Ireland opted to go around the wicket and there was a pause as the bowler and captain Josh Cobb decided where to put Taylor. He ended up at third slip and Glover (6, 22b), who may have been anticipating a short ball, edged a pitched-up delivery and Taylor took a fine low catch.

Wagg nudged and edged Taylor for four as Glamorgan recorded their third batting point but another fine bit of thinking accounted for Dean Cosker. There had previously been plenty in the cordon but Cobb moved himself across to mid-wicket and Cosker (6, 15b) drove Ireland to the skipper as County wrapped up maximum bowling points.

Owen cracked his first ball through the covers and a nick ran down to third man for another four. Wagg pulled and lofted down the ground for boundaries and he also struck Naik (14-3-61-0) for two sixes.

Owen pulled Shreck for four and Wagg hit a huge straight six before clubbing a four as Glamorgan avoided the follow-on. The four also moved Wagg to a gutsy half-century from 49 balls and recorded the fourth batting point.

The 50 stand came up in the next over but the innings came to a conclusion as Wagg pulled Shreck to Taylor at mid-on and tea was taken at that point. There were 30 overs left in the day and Smith and Boyce opened.

Smith twice nudged down to third man to record boundaries and a lovely clip through straight mid-wicket also raced away. Smith followed that up with two belting off-drives and Boyce flicked off his pads for another boundary.

Wagg thought he had made the breakthrough when Boyce edged but Rudolph couldn’t hang onto the sharpest of chances at second slip. Cosker entered the attack and Smith shimmied down the pitch to collect four more.

A well-timed cut from Boyce off Owen took him into double figures and Smith then produced two corking drives as the stand reached 50. Boyce produced a sumptuous cover drive and followed that up with a nice pull as the lead went past 200.

Boyce (24, 44b) then advanced and fell to Cosker – Wallace whipped off the bails too but there was an edge beforehand – as the stand was ended on 63. Smith drove Cosker (6-1-17-1) through extra to register his ninth four and a terrific pull from Ned Eckersley (7*, 6b) also found the boundary boards.

The light was deteriorating and the players came off with 11 overs still scheduled to be bowled. They were not to return, so the game will resume at 11am in the morning.


Our Sponsors

Go to Main Content : Go to Main Menu : Go to Top of Page