Evans top-scores but Ivanhoe lose

by Harry Josephs

Leicestershire batsman Sam Evans was in the runs for Leicester Ivanhoe but it wasn’t enough as his side went down to a seven-wicket defeat against Market Harborough in the latest round of Everards Leicestershire and Rutland Premier League fixtures.

Ivanhoe batted first and Evans top-scored for his side with 67 as he and Peter Dickson (59) put on 113. The team reached 199-8 from their 28 overs in one of several rain-affected games. For Harborough, Joe Gordon took three wickets and Rob Taylor took 2 for 18 from his five-over spell.

Market Harborough openers Joe Kendall and Max Collins put on 65 for the first wicket, Kendall scoring 47 and Collins 26. When Kendall fell it bought Taylor to the wicket - and he scored a rapid 78 not out from 57 balls, hitting six boundaries and four maximums in his innings. Harborough reached their target three wickets down.

Table toppers Sileby Town continued their march towards the title with a comfortable win against Loughborough Town.

Bad weather meant that the game became 36 overs per side. Loughborough won the toss and elected to bowl first, and when Andy Rishton dismissed the Sileby top 3 for 5, 9 and 6 respectively the decision looked a good one.

However, Sileby captain Jigar Naik steadied the ship with 52 and Brady Glennon scored 61 not out as the pair put on 72 to get Sileby to 180 for 6. For Loughborough, Rishton was the standout bowler taking 3-39 from his eight overs.

Loughborough’s response never really got going and at 45-5 they were never in the game. Naik’s superb all-round game continued as he recorded figures of 7.4-4-4-4.

Naik was ably supported by Aaron Smith who took 2-29 from seven overs with the new ball. Loughborough were bowled out for 101 with only Greg Hollins (40) offering resistance.

Syston were also comprehensive winners against Barkby United. The game was also rain-affected and Barkby batted first, with the majority of batsmen getting starts without going on to record a big score.

Opener Louis Botting top scored with 37 and he was supported by Barkby skipper Steve Flowers (27) and Ben Silver (29 not out). Barkby finished up on 177-7 from their 31 overs. For Syston Umar Razzaq and Mo Pardesi both took two wickets.

In reply for Syston Ram Ghuman scored 76 not out and wicket-keeper Charles Wootton scored an unbeaten 35 to see their side to a comfortable eight-wicket win.

Barrow Town got back to winning ways against Kegworth. Barrow won the toss and elected to bowl first in a game that was shortened to 33 overs per side.

Kegworth were immediately in early trouble and found themselves 27-3 but Danny Murty (37) and Alex Fletcher (42) put on 87. Gareth Isaac then scored a quickfire 24 to see their side to 160-9. For Barrow, Rajneesh Kumar took three wickets and Ankesh Dansuclal and Tom Shipman both dismissed two batsmen.

Barrow got off to a solid start to their innings with openers Ramesh Kara and Jack Nightingale putting on 56 for the first wicket but a little collapse gave Kegworth a chance when Barrow were 108 for 5. Barrow skipper Tim Taylor remained unbeaten with 37 not out to secure his side’s victory by four wickets.

Runs flowed for Kibworth in their clash against Enderby. Kibworth, batting first, scored 209-3 off 24 overs. Matt Craven hit 62 and Sundeep Patel 80. In reply Enderby were set 209 to win from 36 overs. Unfortunately for Enderby they could only score 126 before being bowled out. Bhavik Patel was the star for Kibworth in taking 6 for 14 from 7.3 overs.

The final game in the division was abandoned between Rothley Park and Lutterworth with each side taking five points apiece.