* Please note that following redevelopment work, Leicestershire County Cricket Club are exhibiting some items in the Charles Palmer Suite but the Museum display cabinets are no longer in the building. The club is currently exploring alternative locations on the ground to place the Museum.
The following article gives a history of the club's Museum:
Chairman: P.W. Freer
Hon. Archivist: R. Holdridge
Design Advisor: R. Ogilvie
General Member: J. Barlow
In 1995 Mr. P.W. Freer, a member of the Management Committee, held discussions with Chief Executive, Tony Norman and Marketing Manager, Nicola Holyoake and offered to sponsor the museum in the format that it is today, situated in the Charles Palmer Suite.
This offer was accepted by the Club and a sub-committee was formed. The museum exhibits known as ‘Discovering Cricket at Grace Road’ was formally opened in 1996 by the then President, Mr. B.A.F. Smith.
In those early days we met and had several meetings with Mr. Eric Snow, at that time Leicestershire’s Historian, someone we are indebted to for his knowledge and his diligence in collecting, over a number of years, a lot of the items we have on display in the Museum.
We also have to remember Sylvia Michael for all her hard work and dedication in those early days cataloging and recording all the items we have on display and in our store cupboards. Unfortunately Sylvia passed away in 2008 and is greatly missed by all at Leicestershire County Cricket Club
The exhibition is open throughout the year for both booked visits and ad hoc visits and is also an added attraction to the Club on match days. The museum provides a facility for the young and old alike that informs them about the game of cricket, its history and particularly Leicestershire County Cricket Club.
The exhibition has been built around the County Club’s extensive collection of cricket memorabilia relevant to the development of cricket in Leicestershire and Rutland. The elegant display cases surrounded by wall panels includes historic cricket equipment, artefacts, photographs and information, the evolution of cricket equipment, life size figures of some of the personalities of the past and the successful achievements of Leicestershire teams. The project also ensures the preservation of cricketing memorabilia which will form part of the Club’s history for many years to come.
We have a policy of changing the specimens on display accordingly to specific themes, or to specimens relating to visiting teams, the content of the displays will cover topics from a wide range of themes. We have to thank our design advisor, Rob Ogilvie, for his expertise and ideas in bringing our display cases to the high standard you see in the Museum today.
- The history of the game of cricket and its origins, including a chronology of key dates and events.
- The history of the cricket grounds in Leicestershire, in particular Grace Road.
- The rules of the game and how they evolved, including a glossary of terms used within the game.
- The technology and science of the game.
- The colourful personalities both past and present.
- The simple apparel and equipment used in the past, compared with the modern sophisticated equipment used today.
- The evolution and construction of modern day cricketing equipment i.e. balls, bats and protective gear.
- The ‘map’ of fielding positions.
- The successes and achievements of the County sides over the years.
- The collection of historic artefacts, of which 85% is Leicestershire connected.
Recently all the scores since the beginning of the Club’s first-class history have been put on the internet. The Club’s photographic history is now also being transferred to the website, particularly photographs of past and present players with their biographical details. Team photographs, fully named, will also be transferred. We have to thank our Honorary Archivist Richard Holdridge and Dennis Lambert, the Club's statistician for many years, for their diligence and time given in sourcing and uploading this information onto the Cricket Archive website and the Leicestershire County Cricket Club website.
There is an incomplete record of team photographs, therefore we should be glad to receive any old team photographs from members to help complete the list, particularly 1896, 1898, 1900, 1906, 1919,1921 and 1923 seasons. Photographs of Players would also be welcome.
At the same time the Club recognises that past players have been nurtured, in many cases, by local Village and Town clubs, for example George Geary came from Barwell. The Club would be pleased to include any information members may have regarding other players.
Displays featuring donated memorabilia are on view and a trophy cabinet displays various cups won by the Club and individual players over the years.
Please contact the Honorary Archivist if you have any items of interest which we can display in the future or if you are able to help with any of the missing photographs.
Club's Telephone Number: 0116 2832128
Honorary Archivist – R.Holdridge: Tel: 0116 2774675 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org