Tom Taylor batting SCC
Match Reports

Batsmen shine in Derbyshire SEC draw

SECOND XI CHAMPIONSHIP | Leicestershire CCC v Derbyshire CCC

SCORE | Leicestershire CCC 334 for four declared drew with Derbyshire 200 and 142 for three


REPORT | By Pete Johnson

Bright sunshine greeted us when we arrived at Loughborough Town CC for Day 3 of the SEC match between Leicestershire CCC and Derbyshire CCC. The best day of the three by far weather wise.

The match ended in a draw, with Leicestershire claiming the lion’s share of the points available. Resuming from their overnight 176-2,Leicestershire declared their first innings on 334-4 at lunchtime, a lead of 134 over their rivals. Ateeq Javid top scored with 78.

The score progressing quickly to 334-4 was thanks to aggressive knocks from Tom Taylor 73* and Ben Mike 42*. Aadil Ali also weighed in with 39. In reply Derbyshire had advanced to 142-3 when the players shook hands on a draw in the final hour of the match.

There was a sparse crowd present compared to yesterday when the players took to the field in bright sunshine, but each and every spectator present possessed a wealth of cricketing knowledge amassed over many years of astute observation.

Leicestershire CCC resumed from their overnight 176-2 from 66, Javid 75*, Aadil 2*. Javid had added 3 to his overnight score when he was out caught behind by keeper Daryn Smit from a delivery by Fynn Hudson-Prentice in the fifth over of the morning. Javid (78, 228b). Leicestershire CCC 184-3 from 70.1.

Taylor joined Aadil, both having a close look at the bowling before pushing the score on at pace. Initially we had the sight of a second slip, fielding on his knees, to the leg spin of Connor Marshall. A somewhat recent innovation, but I do recall seeing this ploy brought into play last season. The new ball was taken immediately it was due after 80 overs, Dustin Melton and Sam Connors sharing it. Connors hoping to serve up some aces, whilst Melton was ensuring not to serve up any pies.

In the second over with the new ball there was a delay of 11 minutes whilst the bowlers footholes at the Shelthorpe End were repaired. Dips Patel was at the forefront of the operation, taking time out from his Coaching duties. Dips was armed with a shovel, and appeared very comfortable repairing the damage. He was helped by a couple of young men from Loughborough Town CC, who have ably assisted on ground duties during our visit to Park Road.

Aadil and Taylor posted their 50 partnership from 80 balls when Taylor drove Connors through the covers for a boundary. Aadil had earlier taken Connors for two boundaries in his previous over. Aadil (39 70b) went caught by keeper Smit off seamer Ben Hutchinson, who had replaced Connors at the Shelthorpe End. Leicestershire 254-4 from 87.1 overs.

Taylor’s sibling James was brought into the attack from the Pavilion End, replacing Melton, and we had brother bowling to brother. No doubt a resumption of the many battles that had taken place between the two of them in their back garden some years ago.  Taylor went to his 50 (69b, 6x4, 1x6) when he despatched his sibling over long-on and out of the ground for a maximum. Shades of the back garden again, can we have our ball back please?

Mike had joined Taylor and was going at over a run a ball. Taylor and Mike brought up their 50 alliance from 36 balls, Mike reverse-sweeping leg-spinner Marshall to the ropes registering the milestone. Taylor and Mike plundered 52 runs from the four overs immediately before lunch with powerful hitting.

All-rounder Mike also took time out to launch a ball for a straight maximum that again disappeared into the far distance. Leicestershire CCC went into lunch on 334-4, Taylor 73* (80b), Mike 42* (27b). Over the luncheon interval Leicestershire CCC declared their innings, holding a lead of 134. There were a minimum of 66 overs remaining in the day. Wicket-takers for Derbyshire were, Hutchinson 1-16 off 3, Gleadall 1-35 off 13, Hudson-Prentice 1-35 off 13, and Marshall 1-79 off 24.

It was brought to my attention over the lunch interval by an eagle eyed spectator, that there was a triumvirate of Johnsons playing a pivotal role in the match, and were in fact the fulcrum of proceedings. Modesty would have course have forbidden me from mentioning this had I have noticed it myself, but as I didn’t here goes. One umpire was Chris Johnson, a member of the LCCC Coaching Staff present was Paul Johnson, and the LCCC Scorer was.....well you don’t need me to go into detail as to who he was!

Tyler Mc Gladdery and Jessie Dinnie opened up for Derbyshire. Gavin Griffiths and Alex Evans taking the new ball for the Foxes. In the seventh over Dinnie (14, 14b) went caught behind by keeper Sam Bates off the bowling of Griffiths. Bates taking the ball in front of first slip, and doing one for the cameras with a well-executed side roll after taking the catch.

Dinnie, whose Christian names are Jesse James must no doubt feel somewhat uncomfortable with a (Connor) Marshall in the side. Derbyshire CCC 19-1 from 6.1 overs. Tom Wood joined McGladdery. McGladdery (9, 39b) also went caught behind by Bates, this time from the bowling of Mike, who had replaced Evans at the Shelthorpe End.

Bates, diving to his left, taking the catch low down to dismiss the left-handed McGladdery, Derbyshire CCC 29-2 from 13.2 overs. The door was just slightly ajar for a Leicestershire CCC victory. It was firmly slammed shut however by Wood, who ensured that his side did not capitulate. Wood and Ewan Cox had added 47 for the third wicket when Cox (20, 48b) was caught at short-leg by Javid off the bowling of Arron Lilley. Derbyshire CCC 76-3 from 27 overs still trailing by 58 runs.

Derbyshire CCC duo Wood and Hudson-Prentice safely took Derbyshire into tea at 82-3 from 34 overs, a minimum of 32 overs remaining. After tea, Leicestershire CCC primarily employed an all-spin attack of Lilley and Nat Bowley, but they could not get a breakthrough.

Both Lilley and Bowley joining up the dot balls. Wood and Hudson-Prentice posted a 50 partnership from 135 balls. The last hour, and a minimum of 16 overs, was signalled with Derbyshire on 129-3 from 50 overs. After a further 1.5 overs the players shook hands on a draw at 5.12pm, immediately after Wood had hit a towering maximum to go to his 50 (138b, 6x4, 2x6).

Derbyshire CCC closing on 142-3 from 51.5. Wicket-takers for Leicestershire CCC were, Mike 1-22 from 6, Lilley 1-25 from 17, and Griffiths 1-32 from 11. Match Drawn. Leicestershire CCC 13 points, Derbyshire CCC 8 points.

Very sincere thanks to Loughborough Town CC for excellently hosting our three-day Second XI Championship match against Derbyshire. Thank you to Bhadal, Sanath and Chris for all their work on the ground before, during, and after each day’s play.

Thank you to Danni and Brendan of Greens Catering, Loughborough for providing superb lunches and teas, not forgetting countless cups of tea and coffee that they provided as well. I was most impressed by their excellent customer service skills too.

Special word here for Lindsey, one of John Stew’s trusted Lieutenants at the FCG for identifying this very professional Catering company. Mention in despatches too for media and cricket mogul Dan Nice, for his diligence over the winter months in acquiring suitable venues for 2s games.

Last but by no means least, sincere thanks to Dips Patel for ensuring everything went smoothly at Loughborough, and for his hours of unseen work behind the scenes. Dips was at the ground very early assisting in preparation, removing sheeting, helping put sheeting down, and covers on when it rained.

This being in addition to his day to day LCCC duties, of assisting with pre match warm ups etc. Dips also being a major force in accommodating LCCC Second XI at Loughborough Town (Editor’s note – many thanks to everyone, but especially Dips for his amazing work in the build-up and during the game). See you all again in July for our SEC game against Northamptonshire.