30th September 2019
Azad picks up four awards after debut season
Leicestershire CCC opening batsman Hassan Azad brought a close to an incredible debut season in professional cricket after claiming four of the available 11 awards at the 2019 Player Awards Evening on Friday (September 27).
Azad was named as Leicestershire’s Players’ Player of the Year, Fans Player of the Year and County Championship Player of the Year. He also took the Livingston Cup for Outstanding Batting Performance home for his 137 and 100* against Gloucestershire CCC at the Fischer County Ground.
These awards were claimed following an incredible debut season in professional cricket, that saw only Warwickshire's Dominic Sibley score more runs than the 25-year old in the County Championship, as he posted a total of 1,189 runs at an average of 54.04 – a Division Two high.
The other big winner on the night was white ball captain Colin Ackermann, as he took home a five-for.
Ackermann was named Leicestershire’s One Day Player of the Year, T20 Player of the Year and Cricketer of the Year.
The South African also picked up the Roger Goadby Award for Outstanding Fielding Performance, and also claimed the John Josephs Award for Best Individual Performance in the First XI for his world record-breaking 7 for 18 against Birmingham Bears in the Foxes' victory at the Fischer County Ground in the Vitality Blast.
Tom Taylor picked up the Frank S Smith Cup for Outstanding Bowling Performance for his maiden first-class 10-for, earned in the victory over Sussex CCC in the opening fixture of the season in Hove.
Leicestershire CCC academy graduate Alex Evans was named Leicestershire’s Young Player of the Year for his efforts in the academy, in the Second XI and then after earning his call up to the First XI.
Evans earned his Leicestershire cap in the County Championship fixture against Durham CCC at the Fischer County Ground where he earned his maiden County Championship wicket where he went on to claim figures of four for 79.
There were also a number of recognition awards presented.
First, John Mallett of OutsideOff.com was recognised for his dedication to Leicestershire CCC, travelling up and down the country following the Foxes on the road and at home and providing images from the matches.
Further, departing players Neil Dexter and Aadil Ali were recognised for their contributions to the club during their time at the Fischer County Ground.
Full list of winners:
1. County Championship Player of the Year – Hassan Azad
2. One Day Player of the Year – Colin Ackermann
3. T20 Player of the Year – Colin Ackermann
4. Frank S Smith Cup – Outstanding Bowling Performance – Tom Taylor 10 for 122 v Sussex CCC
5. John Josephs Award – Best Individual Performance in a First XI Match – Colin Ackermann 7 for 18 v Birmingham Bears
6. Young Player of the Year – Alex Evans
7. Roger Goadby Award – Outstanding Fielding Performance – Colin Ackermann
8. Livingston Cup – Outstanding Batting Performance – Hassan Azad 137 and 100* v Gloucestershire CCC
9. Fans Player of the Year – Hassan Azad
10. Cricketer of the Year – Colin Ackermann
11.Players’ Player of the Year – Hassan Azad
*Click HERE to register your interest for 2020 Memberships at the Fischer County Ground.